
I am finally posting after arriving and settling in at "Maid's" (our token name for the house) in Cambridge. Although I had some intense jetlag and some serious errands to run to get everything in order, mom and I also had a chance to do some biking with her friends through the city. We ended with a delicious dinner of seafood and good company.
Lesson 1: biking is by far the best way to get around Cambridge.
Lesson 2: get the oldest bike possible. if not, it is only a matter of time before it is stolen
I am living with 16 other students (representing the UK, US, Greece, Austria, France) and have a very large room all to myself (visitors welcome)! They all have interesting and different backgrounds and we are already having a great time.
Apart from the numerous "Fresher's" activities well under way, both with Queens' College and Graduate Students, mom and I had a chance to walk to Grantchester where we took tea in the "Orchard." It is where Forster, Virginia Woolfe, and several others took their tea whenever it rained. The tea, clotted cream, scones (and even lunch food) was all phenomenal.

Sunday we had a rare opportunity to be special guests at King's College, thanks to Kina who works with the boy's choir. We attended the EvenSong service where we heard the King's College Boys and Mens Choir sing, and also saw four new members of the choir inducted. Before going to King's, we walked through St. John's, Trinity, Clare and Queens' Colleges through the "backs", which are essentially the gardens found behind several of the colleges and provides a beautiful and scenic walk in Cambridge.

Some other highlights since I arrived include attending the Queens' boat club "squash", where my friend Anna and I signed up to join the rowing team (as total novices, no less). I also learned the legal, technical difference between a "cake" "biscuit" and "cookie", learned the terms "fizzy drinks", "hub bub", and "nibbles", and was informed that pants are actually "Trousers". That last one is of particular importance.
I still feel like I am a living dream and am not sure if I will ever fully realize what a phenomenal opportunity I have before me to study here at Cambridge. Being surrounded by buildings that date back to before the Magna Carta (circa. 1200), is inspiring and humbling.


Sorry for being a creep and commenting on all your posts, but I just wanted to say that I'm so proud of you!
ReplyDelete