
You may hear the word "croquet" and have a reaction similar to mine Saturday afternoon: last time I played that was when I was 5, without any rules, in my backyard. Or simply, that croquet as a sport is, well, dead.
I am here to tell you, with objectively verifiable proof, that this in fact, a grossly false perception of the sport that claims origins in both France and England and typically should be played with a rather large hat and petticoats to really look legitimate. That said, argyle sufficed for the day. There is competitive croquet, croquet clubs, and even the Prime Minister of England likes to take time off to dabble in the sport.
So, after reading hard for hours on Saturday, a group of us headed over to the Pembroke College grounds for a friendly (but also very competitive) croquet match. It quickly seemed to be a match of Harvard's best versus the rest, and teaming up with Anna and John, we came in at third, but not after what was a good 2 1/2 hours of working to get the balls through the wickets!
The ladies of Maid's Causeway take this sport seriously.
Well, Chloe does at least.
It provided a great break from the studying, and this past Saturday afternoon in Cambridge was absolutely divine. The sun was shining, the leaves changing, and the grounds at Pembroke are some of the most beautiful to be found in Cambridge. It was also great to meet some new people, and I am just blown away constantly at how small this world is. I am meeting people from places I have never heard of, but with whom I share multiple mutual friends.
By the time we finished croquet it was dark, and so we headed to the dining hall of Pembroke where those of us who are members of Queens' eagerly looked forward to comparing food quality (and price) between the colleges. Queens' is still better, price and quality. Ambiance, however, definitely goes to Pembroke.
Although I know I am primarily here to study, sunny Saturdays in Cambridge are to be treasured as winter is rapidly approaching, and I certainly hope to participate in a croquet re-match very, very soon!
As Housemates, we are obligated to remain friends even after she won. Big time.




Ah, looks like great fun, and such a nice an civilized sport! :) didn´t we play offroad-croquet when you and laura visited our island?
ReplyDeleteYou would be surprised how uncivilized it can get with those mallets (the Harvard kids in particular seem to have an aggressively competitive streak. in a good way, of course..)
ReplyDeleteI don't remember off-road croquet - but I DO remember windsurfing.
Need to dig up those videos again... hope all is well!
hahaha. This post is great. :) minus the harvard kids.
ReplyDeleteway to go ingrid trying new things!
yes, I dare say my attempts at croquet (and rowing for that matter) were much better than saxophone!
ReplyDelete