Sunday, October 25, 2009

An Ode to Pink Thunder(bird)


My first day in Cambridge I immediately sensed that there was something missing in my life. Something that would make life easier, something dependable and consistent, and most importantly, something that would make me feel less inferior to the speeding cars on the wrong side of the road.

That something, I soon discovered, was none other than Pink Thunder(bird), aka Pink.
My bicycle.
Originally known as the "stolen bicycle", Pink was discovered one day abandoned on the side of the road. Returned to the police station and waiting two whole weeks to be reclaimed, the owner sadly never turned up for Pink. Pink had, officially, been abandoned.

Locked into a tight garage space with 50 other bicycles, desperate for life to begin again, Pink finally found me through a friend, and we have had a beautiful relationship ever since.
The Day Our Relationship Began to Blossom

Pink's trusty basket holds my bag as I race to and from class each morning, the groceries that pile up after a weekly trip to Tesco and Sainsbury's, and Pink even pulls me through the cold and dark night to Cherry Hinton Road every Thursday for institute. Thanks to Pink, I roll up to class every day on time, and the rust adds a charm that swells others' eyes with envy.
Wherever I am, Pink is loyally by my side.
Even in the darkest and coldest of nights, I have Pink to guide me

Despite the abandoned, unloved and rickety look of Pink, I can assure you, there is nothing in this town that I appreciate, rely upon, and love, more than my Pink Thunder(bird).

Always faithfully waiting patiently for me to emerge from the classroom.

2 comments: