



Last Monday, after spending the morning having my brain infused with statistics from the Arab Human Development Report, you can imagine my excitement and relief at having a distraction for the remainder of the day. Kristian (my cousin from Norway), came to visit for the day!
We met up and spent most of the day just looking at the various colleges from King's to Trinity, St. John's, Pembroke, and of course.. Queens' (which, random factoid, didn't admit women until the 1970s or 1980s despite having 2 female patronesses for centuries. tsk tsk). Also got some great Autumn pictures of Cambridge.
There isn't TOO much to do in Cambridge, but we did also have a chance to eat some lunch in The Eagle pub, which during WWII was the RAF pub and was also the place where the discovery of DNA was first announced (also where several pints were consumed as Watson and Crick mulled over the science leading up to this discovery).
Kristian also got a chance to visit the polar institute when I ran back to a seminar for an hour, and we topped of the day at Benet's. I can't speak to their coffee quality, but I can say they have the best hot chocolate this side of the Atlantic. Or at least on any island this side of the Atlantic?
I don't fear generalizations at all, clearly.
Anyway, we had a great day and it was definitely a good change of company and break from the daily routine!
I hope if any of you find yourselves in England or nearby, you drop in for a visit as well !
No comments:
Post a Comment